This ongoing series will share short lists of artists’ favorite things to do or see in Las Vegas (including nearby day trips). In some cases, these lists become more nostalgic or idiosyncratic musings about a city many visitors can’t believe we call home.
1. Broadacres Marketplace, flea market, food vendors and live music on the weekends
2. Clark County Wetlands Park, Clark County’s largest park, home to 212 species of birds, 70 species of mammals and reptiles
3. Stake Out Bar and Grill (across from the campus of UNLV)
4. Mystic Falls Park at Sam’s Town Hotel and Casino
5. Los Tacos on Bruce and Charleston
Justin Favela is a Las Vegas native working in the mediums of painting, sculpture, and performance. He has participated in exhibitions in Las Vegas and across the United States. Favela’s art is a celebration of his life as a Nevadan of Guatemalan/Mexican heritage and draws from art history and popular culture. His work is currently featured in the group exhibition “Mi Tierra: Contemporary Artists Explore Place” at the Denver Art Museum, and his sculpture Gypsy Rose Piñata, on view at the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles through July 2018, was recently written about in the LA Times and the New York Times. Justin was the first Settlers + Nomads Instagram page curator and an early contributor on the blog. He is co-founder of the popular podcast Latinos Who Lunch. justinfavela.net
Images courtesy the artist. Brief descriptions by S + N.
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter with artist essays, interviews, events and more Top 5 lists here.